Friday 4 October 2013

Spicy Root and Lentil Casserole

Dish: Spicy Root and Lentil Casserole

Difficulty: Easy

Utensils Used: Wooden spoon, peeler

Cock Ups: 2

Recipe Book: BBC Good Food

Cooking: I had some potatoes that needed using, and a command from the Boyfriend to use up the sweetcorn. Searching for recipes using these ingredients together was utterly unsuccessful, so I decided to make a casserole and serve it with sweetcorn. Because that was the next logical step in my view.


So, I chopped one onion and fried with some lazy garlic.


I then cut up a few peeled potatoes (recipe states 700g, but I was too lazy to weigh) into large chunks, added them to the pan and kept on a lowish heat while I prepared the carrots.


The recipe also stated that some of your 'roots' should be parsnips, but I hate them, so I just did double carrots. Basically the whole packet. I peeled first, then cut into big chunks. I like casseroles for this reason. Big chunks are so time saving.


While the carrots and potatoes were softening, I put on the sweetcorn.


Then I made up 500ml of vegetable stock. The recipe stated 1litre, but I had realised by this point that I wasn't going to fit that much liquid in the pan I was using. A wok, as it happens, because it's the biggest pan I own. Not the best choice.


This was added in with two tablespoons of curry powder after the potatoes and carrots had been cooking for long enough to make them soft.


I then added about 100g of red lentils. Again, didn't measure. The lentils instantly disappeared, so lame picture of one lentil coming right up.


This was then covered (with a plate, I don't have a lid) and left to simmer for a further 20mins. Not too shabby. At least, until I realised that the coriander that I'd bought specially (and a brand one, too, because the supermarket one was out of stock) to garnish was lamenting unopened on the counter. Bugger.

Washing Up Required: A very small amount.


Result: It was a bit drier than it perhaps should have been, but it smelled delicious and looked pretty good.

Taste Test: The flavours were rich, nicely spicy and warming and the Boyfriend very much approved. Except for one detail. It didn't go with the sweetcorn. Oops.


Overall Verdict: Tasty, simple and really healthy. This one is definitely a winner!

Spicy Root and Lentil Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment